Saturday 27 March 2010

Vegetables

I made a decision.
I seriously considered giving up some kind of food for Lent, but I chickened out. And then this week, well... I started thinking it was a really good idea to fast or give something up. On Thursday, I decided I would give up meat for the last week before Easter (starting Sunday).
Giving up meat, though, means eating more vegetables, which means grocery shopping. And going grocery shopping in the north is kind of like gambling. Especially if you go with a certain ingredient in mind.
When I went to the store on Friday, I knew I had a good chance of finding something fresh because Thursday is usually when they get fresh produce. But just the FACT that I wanted fresh produce... made me believe that probably killed my chances of finding any. Low and behold, I arrived to find vast quantities of fresh food! There were watermelons and prickly pears, asparagus and artichokes, cabbage, lettuce, spinach, eggplant, three kinds of bananas, WHITE onions (there's been nothing but old yellow onions and a few red onions for the past month), etc. I was astounded! I was excited!... I overdid it.
Even without buying meat, I spent waaaaaay more than I usually do. And when I sliced open the eggplant, it was full of brown/bruised spots. But I cooked with it anyways, 'cause for what I spent, I'm not throwing away anything that isn't trying to crawl away on me. It made a lovely eggplant parmesan. I'm excited for what this week might hold!

No comments: