Sunday 30 November 2008

Fast Food

As many of you already know, I'm not a big fan of fast food, I'd far rather make things myself. Or, a nice little sandwich shop will do nicely in place of fast food. I like restaurants. Once in a while. Mainly, I like restaurants because it means spending time with friends, and no one is distracted by making food or cleaning up after. Traveling around last year, I learned a bit about choosing restaurants wisely, and finding the nice little nooks.

Coming to Iqaluit is completely messing with my sense of what's a good restaurant, and what I'd like to eat. There is one (and only one) fast-food restaurant that delivers food 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. I will not order from them, because it's fast food, and I don't crave it, and so why would I spend so much on it? BUT... when it's 2am at work with nothing happening and other people at work order stuff, and someone asks me to split a dish, such as poutine... I'm a sucker. There are a handful of regular restaurants, but it's a choice between super pricey and good, or pricey but average (as in I could make it better at home) food.

Once in a while when we're flying a very sick person south on a medical flight, the flight crew brings in a treat from the south. Last time they brought TH's doughnuts all the way from Montreal... apparently my eyes got a voracious look of delight, and I pounced (not literally... I only mean it as: I made sure I was the first to open the box). For someone that doesn't bother to buy doughnuts more than a couple times a year even when the doughnut shop is a 10 min. walk from her house... my behaviour disturbs me just a little. I shouldn't have been nearly that excited to see fresh doughnuts. Even if we have no doughnut shops here.

I'm not saying that any of this will change my preferences when I return south... because what I'm honestly craving right now is some good Thai soup, or any restaurant that serves fresh buns/bread with their meals. A nice long, FACE to FACE chat with good friends I left behind! Or being able to cook a big meal and not end up eating the leftovers for the next week. I'm learning that when I combine it with stuff, all I need is one chicken breast for 3 meals!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather, I can see how your usual style gets thrown out the window when you've got the limitations you're living with. How is your Christmas program at your church progressing? I thought I'd heard you were involved with the production in some way. Our church kids are doing something called a Caribean (I forget how to spell that word) Christmas. It's only 30 min long, because we have lots of ESL kids that are struggling with English, but they LOVE singing. Cheers. Linda